Last week I shared with you the Butterfly biscuits I made using the recipe (& cutters) from the Cake Decorating magazine.
This week I’m sharing what I cooked for my afternoon tea I held on Saturday as part of my fundraising efforts for Frocktober
Also in issue 1 of Cake Decorating was a Victoria Sponge. Never made one so thought I’d give it a go. If it was a failure hubby’s RPG group was always coming round so they could snack on it.
Was delish. What’s an afternoon tea without cupcakes. This is pretty much my go to recipe when I want plain cupcakes.
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 125g butter, melted & cooled
- 2 x eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- a couple of drops of food colouring (I used teal as teal ribbons are for Ovarian Cancer)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan. Alternatively, line holes with paper cases. Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Make icing: Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add food colouring and water. Stir until smooth and well combined. Spoon icing over cupcakes.
Since the theme of the afternoon tea was Frocktober and frocking up I decided I had to make a Dolly Varden cake, or as they are now know in our house – a baked Barbie cake. Never made one before. Don’t own a varden cake tin. Pudding basin, yes, so went with that. OMG how long do these things take to cook! Not as long as the recipe said anyway. She turned out ok though.
I also made these lemon tarts. If you love lemon curd/butter you will love these delicious lemony morsels. I will definitely make them again.
Finally we had these raspberry melting moments. Can’t comment on what they tasted like as they had all gone by the time I got to them. Will just have to make them again I guess.
What’s your favourite afternoon tea food?