Wait. What? Two years? I never stick with a planner system for that long. Today marks exactly 2 years & 3 days of using the Bullet Journal system. So what have I learned in that 2 years and what information would I pass on to someone who’s thinking about getting started with the system?
1. Visit bulletjournal.com and read everything on the site but make sure you start with the Learn section so you learn and understand the basics. Read Ryder’s book (released on Oct 23, 2018). Immerse yourself in the origins of the bullet journal before branching out.
2. You don’t need to buy all the supplies. I started with a book (I splurged and bought a Bullet Journal Leuchtturm1917 but you could start in any notebook you have), a black pen and raided my scrapbook stash
3. DO NOT go on Instagram/Pinterest looking at bullet journal spreads. Well actually do, because they are an awesome source of inspiration. But don’t compare yourself to those people. It’s your book, it doesn’t have to look like theirs!
This leads me to my next point…
4. Don’t give up. Mistakes happen. Cover it up, rub it out. Try again. Keep going.
(Thanks Bob! *thumbs up*)
5. You can always create in pencil first.
What I’ve learned.
I like to change up my monthly and weekly spreads every now and then. I do find myself coming back to Ryder’s monthly log calendar though.
I love doing cover pages each month. Even if I don’t do one every month.
I do prefer to keep things minimalist. Just a few stickers here or there, maybe some washi tape or a doodle or two.
I work better if I keep my collections in a separate journal, especially if it’s something I’d add to over multiple journals. Some of the collections I have in my Long Term Collections book are:
- TV Series
- Books I’ve read
- Movies I’ve watched
- Twitch Streams I watch
- 101 in 1001 days
- Bill payments
- Solar panel info
- When did I last
My setup for the remainder of 2018/2019
I’ll be switching to my purple Leuchtturm1917 in January which feels strange as both my previous books have started in October/November
I’ll be creating an TN style setup in my old Inner-B planner (which I bloggers about here), it will houses my Leuchtturm1917, my Collections insert, my blog insert, and my Christmas insert (which I’ll share about in another post).
So that’s my first 2 years in a nutshell. I’ll be back with more of my bullet journal adventures in the future
Tagged: Bullet Journal