Miss K, now all of 3 1/2, has decided she loves to cook. She’s done cooking at day care – Anzac biscuits, honey joys, gingerbread men. She’s even talked me into teaching her how to make cupcakes, which she took to day care. It’s a nice simple recipe – chuck everything in the food processor, whizz, put in cupcake cases and cook. Simple enough that a 3 yo can do it (& yes she can work the food processor once I’ve put the mixer blade in and put the lid on).
Simple raspberry cupcakes*
- 100 g Butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Self-raising Flour
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 cup Frozen Raspberries, thawed
- Preheat oven to 170°C or 150°C fan and line 12 medium muffin tins with paper cases.
- Put all your ingredients, except the raspberries, in the food processor and mix til combined.
- Add raspberries and pulse til mixed through (you don’t want the raspberries to mush up too much).
- Spoon into prepared cases. Bake for 20 mins, or until the cakes are springy to a light touch. Leave in tin for 5 mins, then lift out onto a wire rack to cool.
- When cool ice with your favourite buttercream icing (or leave plain – totally up to you)
* Not my recipe and I can’t remember where I got it from
Another great recipe I’ve taught Miss K to make is Shortbread. I’ve simplified the recipe – I now do the mixing in the food processor then roll out, cut & bake.
Today we made rocky road. Nice and easy. Measure, melt chocolate and mix. Only did a half batch cause I needed some of the chocolate for another recipe.
- 400g melting chocolate
- 250g marshmallows
- 200g lolly snakes
- 80g coconut
- Melt chocolate either in a double boiler or in microwave stirring every 15-30 secs til smooth
- Roughly chop snakes & marshmallows and add marshmallows, snakes & coconut & mix through.
- Pour into baking dish or patty papers and pop into fridge to set