Hubby was in charge of choosing our new recipes this fortnight and he loves his soup so soup it was. He found a recipe for a creamy chicken soup and added it to the list.
We’d had a roast chicken the night before and I used it to make one of my Mum’s favourite recipes – Crusted Chicken Noble. I’ll have to share the recipe because it such a yummy meal. Mum used to whip it up when we were having family over for a meal. After the meal I boiled the bones and wings using the recipe here to make my own stock.
Anywho, onto our soup recipe. It came from the site Recipe Tin Eats. We’ve added a bunch of recipes from there to our try list.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g / 3.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup / 75 g flour
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- ½ small brown onion , finely chopped
- 1 small carrot , diced
- 1/2 red capsicum/bell pepper , finely chopped
- 1 small celery stick , diced
- 2 cups / 500 ml chicken stock / broth , preferably low sodium
- 3 cups / 750 ml milk , any fat %
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp EACH garlic powder , onion powder, dried thyme, black pepper (“Spices”)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cooked chicken , diced or shredded
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until partly translucent but not browned.
- Add carrots, celery and capsicum, cook for 1 minute to soften.
- Add butter and melt. Then add flour and mix until incorporated, and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add broth, mix until flour is incorporated, then add milk. Mix to combine, then add salt, Spices, chicken and peas.
- Bring to simmer, mixing occasionally to stop bottom of sticking. As it heats, it will thicken – about 4 to 5 minutes. Don’t let it bubble.
- Once thickened to your taste, adjust salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with croutons and fresh thyme if desired.
Would I do anything different next time? Add more chicken meat. Omit the black pepper but add some at the end. It’s definitely one for the book though and we’ll make it again.