February is Ovarian Cancer Awareness month. You may notice a change in my profile pictures around social media as I go teal for the month to show my support for those currently battling Ovarian Cancer and for the families who have lost a loved one.
Ovarian Cancer is a disease where some of the cells in one or both ovaries start to grow abnormally and develop into cancer. There currently is no screening test for Ovarian Cancer. If your doctor suspects ovarian cancer, there are a number of tests they can perform to help decide whether your symptoms are due to ovarian cancer or other causes.
Do you know the symptoms?
Women who are diagnosed with ovarian cancer report four types of symptoms most frequently:
- Abdominal or pelvic pain.
- Increased abdominal size or persistent abdominal bloating.
- Needing to urinate often or urgently.
- Feeling full after eating a small amount.
Most women who experience these symptoms don’t have Ovarian Cancer but if you experience these symptoms regularly over a four week period, please discuss your symptoms with a doctor and if other reasons don’t rule out your symptoms ask to be tested for Ovarian Cancer
- If you are in Canberra, check out Old Parliment House as it goes teal.
- Visit your local Chemmart Pharmacy as they are holding fundraising and awareness events and activities in stores throughout the month.
- Speaking of Chemmart Pharmacy, they are launching a new teal nail polish, with proceeds going to OCA. Wear teal nail polish throughout February and post photos to the OCA Facebook page (and check out the male celebrities who have been dared to Teal up on Teal Ribbon Day (26 February) to raise awareness. Challenge your friends to go teal in February
- Wattle Valley WNBL Teal Ribbon round – 7 to 9 February
- Queen of the Lake (9th February). This annual fun run/walk is hosted by OCA partner Brazilian Butterfly at Albert Park Lake in Melbourne and funds raised through participants’ sponsorship are donated to OCA. For more information and to register for this event visit www.ovariancancer.net.au
- Teal Ribbon Day (26th February). OCA partners Chemmart, Brazilian Butterfly and My Size sell teal
ribbons for $2 each throughout the month. If you are in Canberra OCA are holding a breakfast event at Parliament House in Canberra on Teal Ribbon Day.
- Afternoon Teal events
How can u help?
- Buy a teal ribbon
- Host or attend a Afternoon Teal event
- Buy some Colour for a cause nail polish from your local Chemmart
- Donate to OCA
I’ll be posting more through the month with information and sharing our Afternoon Teal event – Scrap til You Drop 2014.